Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween

Hazel's been looking forward to Halloween since... they started getting decorations out at the end of August. She was going to be a bride (and wear her white princess dress), but then she just had to have the firefighter costume we found at the Carter's outlet. (I'm going to check for costumes there next year too - what a deal!) The season started with cousin Henry's Halloween costume birthday bash two weeks ago, where the kids had fun playing Halloween themed games. Then we went to Halloween story time at the library and decorated cards. This is one of the nifty magnetic decorations I found on post-holiday sale last year.

Hazel wore her pj's underneath her firefighter costume, so that if she got hot (like while running around at the Halloween gymnastics party), she could peel off a layer and still be in celebratory clothing.
Here she is in full costume, with custom-made purple stickers on her helmet. We were getting ready to head to the library.

To complete the look, she accessorized with a dalmatian and firetruck treat bucket, which I had to talk her into using because she noticed it said 'Happy Easter' on the handle. Really, will it hold any less candy if it mentions Easter?

Despite the obviously fire-themed stickers on the helmet, we still got lots of, "Are you a bumble bee? A construction worker?" Seriously? You don't see the firetruck bucket, the dalmatian, and the badge on the jacket? Maybe next year I'll hang a sign around her neck that says, "I'm a _______."

Nope, it's not Halloween yet. On the 30th we went to Toys'R'Us, colored with glow-in-the-dark crayons, marched around the store in a parade with Geoffrey the giraffe, got free candy and a flashing pumpkin safety necklace, and took a ride in Woody the Woodpecker's Fire Truck.

Not to be leaving things until the last minute, but luckily Halloween morning was sunny, so we could finally take a trip to the pumpkin patch! Here Hazel catches a ride in a horse, on the "cow train."
The obligatory ride on a pony that was led through the pumpkin patch rather than circling around a ring. What a novel idea!

Not quite tall enough to peep through yet!

Noisy corncob cannon...

Always have to pose on tractors.

Even better if Daddy hops in the picture too!

Hazel also walked through the animal barn, petting a few soft furry creatures, and wandered with Mommy through the hay maze in the barn. Good thing I could see over the hay bales, 'cause it was touch and go there for a bit. I could have done without the kids having a hay fight in the midst of the maze. We ended up buying a nice clean pumpkin from the store, rather than a rotten one from the muddy field, and I carved it in about 20 minutes while Hazel took a brief rest. Whew - lighting pumpkin carving is a workout! At 4pm, we met Hazel's friend Amy and family at Saint Martin's and went trick-or-treating in the dorms. We got a pretty good haul there, with only one scarily costumed student answering the door. After early dinner, Hazel and I headed out around the neighborhood once the kids started knocking on our door. Hazel was almost as excited to answer the door and hand out candy as she was to knock on doors herself. Here she is with fire truck bucket, ready to head out the door.
Trick-or-treat Daddy! Thanks for staying home to hand out the candy.

Sorting through the loot. It's nice she's still young and generous and shares with us. She kept pretending to trick-or-treat around the house until bedtime. I'm still trying to decide if the candy fairy is going to come tonight and leave a toy in place of the sweets. Seems a bit cruel. Maybe I'll leave her a few pieces... if the toy's good enough, maybe she won't mind? We'll see...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, what did she get? And what did you get? mom.

Kristen said...

Sounds like a successful night! She's all smiles!