After reading a multitude of online comments last night from parents about quitting binkies, I had changed my mind and decided to let Hazel keep hers until she was ready to give it up. Then she had a ridiculous tantrum about something or other this afternoon, took an early 'nap', and I decided that was it. For the last several weeks she's said, "I can't stop crying" when crying and just goes on and on with whatever crying fit she's having, and since I think binkies just exacerbate that problem, I decided it was time. This is harder for me, you realize, as I'm the one who depends on the binky to calm her down and keep her sleeping through the night. I'm guessing the classic 'this will hurt me more than it will hurt you' speech wouldn't have gone over well.
So, after her 'nap,' she headed downstairs before me. All 3 binkies happened to be upstairs, so I came down and said the binky fairy had just been there, taken the binkies, and told me to check the garage for her gift. Hazel was quite excited and then even more excited when she saw it was the long promised Diego Animal Rescue Center. After helping me assemble it and figure out how everything worked, she played for a long time, and then we headed out to get the mail. On the way back, she commented on how nice it was that the BF had given her the toy without taking her binkies. Oops... Hazel hadn't listened to everything I told her earlier. So I said it again, she checked all our binky spots when we got home, and she didn't seem too concerned. Later, after I tucked her in for bed, she asked for her binky. A repeat explanation from me followed. Details aside, it took her an hour and a half to fall asleep with much whimpering, a little all-out crying, many trips for me up to her room, and then she sang about a half dozen Christmas carols before finally falling asleep. It went better than I thought - we'll see how tomorrow goes.
Hazel's pal Diego


How neat is this? She had rescued about 20 animals by dinner time. She said, "I love this. Can we keep it until I'm ten?"




(I'm so happy, because I haven't yet realized that this means I'll have no binky at bedtime.)

So, after her 'nap,' she headed downstairs before me. All 3 binkies happened to be upstairs, so I came down and said the binky fairy had just been there, taken the binkies, and told me to check the garage for her gift. Hazel was quite excited and then even more excited when she saw it was the long promised Diego Animal Rescue Center. After helping me assemble it and figure out how everything worked, she played for a long time, and then we headed out to get the mail. On the way back, she commented on how nice it was that the BF had given her the toy without taking her binkies. Oops... Hazel hadn't listened to everything I told her earlier. So I said it again, she checked all our binky spots when we got home, and she didn't seem too concerned. Later, after I tucked her in for bed, she asked for her binky. A repeat explanation from me followed. Details aside, it took her an hour and a half to fall asleep with much whimpering, a little all-out crying, many trips for me up to her room, and then she sang about a half dozen Christmas carols before finally falling asleep. It went better than I thought - we'll see how tomorrow goes.
Hazel's pal Diego
How neat is this? She had rescued about 20 animals by dinner time. She said, "I love this. Can we keep it until I'm ten?"
(I'm so happy, because I haven't yet realized that this means I'll have no binky at bedtime.)
2 comments:
Wait. I thought Hazel wanted her binkies in a display case. :)
It sounds to me like you are a very patient Mama and did a great job with this!
Strong love, momma! You can still offer her something soothing to help her fall asleep...like soft music or a lavender pillow or a warm baby hot water bottle...lovemom.
Post a Comment