Sunday, March 29, 2009

What's she saying?

I'm forgetting so many quotes, because I'm not blogging as often. Here's what I remember that Hazel is saying these days.

"Stupid bugs!" - We have unidentified little gray bugs that crawl up our staircase walls for about 7 weeks this time of year. They seem harmless, just annoying because you can always find several on their way up the wall at any given time. Hazel points them out to me and then says "Mommy, get a wipe and get them," which I gladly do. She also identifies the bug family members for me, "There's the mommy bug, the daddy bug, and a tiny baby bug. Oh, another baby bug." Never more than one mommy and daddy but plenty of additional babies. I figure it's okay to use the word "stupid" if it's only about these bugs, but I do have to watch my word choice around my little sponge.

Heard over the monitor Friday morning after Hazel woke up - "It's Saturday. Daddy give Hazel a bottle. It's Sunday. Go to Gramma's house. (singing) Happy Birthday to Gramma." We were going to Gramma's house for her birthday on Saturday morning. Hazel almost had the days right.

Hazel always has a morning weather report when I open her blinds. "It's a little bit rainy" or "It's sunny with some puffy white clouds." I prefer the latter, and I hope we won't hear again, "It's snowing!" I think that's Hazel's favorite weather report.

We had been hearing some unidentified animal moans outside, so I suggested it sounded a little bit like an owl. The next morning Hazel's first words to me were, "There's a owl upstairs whooing." Upstairs meant on the roof. I liked the verb she made up - whooing.

When we walked to the mailbox the other day, she had about a three inch stick in her hand. (She often finds a stick to carry on her walk, to poke the rocks in the concrete and stick into little holes in the ground.) So she squatted in the middle of the sidewalk, held out her stick and said "Hazel's fishing. I caught one! I eat it all up." I think that's from the book My World. Maybe.

Daddy said that this morning she said, "Hazel will have her bottle now." Sounds like she's ordering around a servant, and note that she's really talking in full sentences. The last two weeks, she's been purposefully talking baby talk sometimes, just nonsensical words that she knows mean nothing. Kind of funny. I laugh and remind her that I really can't get her the Bop Bop book, because I don't know which that one is.

And now I'm drawing a blank on any other conversations. I'm pretty sure I had more to type, but I guess that's my brain telling me to hit the hay early tonight. I'll start writing her sweet little thoughts down, instead of thinking I retain some semblence of short-term memory. I just love it when she spouts independent thoughts, rather than just repeating things I've said to her.

3 comments:

Hazel's mom said...

I'm testing the comments

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll test them too!!

Even though I seldom comment, I will take this opportunity to say, once again, that I simply LOVE this blog. Seriously. LOVE. Part of it is Hazel herself (could she possibly be any cuter? I don't think so!!), but the other equally important part is your commentary. She is one lucky little girl and you are two lucky parents.

We still miss you at work (Kim and I periodically lament over how we never had problems with Whatever when SHALIMAR did it. LOL!) but your current gig is so perfect for all concerned that I really can't complain.

Keep up the good work, Mom, and thanks again for sharing!

NK Claire

Oh, I like it when Eric contributes too. I had the best dad in the world, but Eric is right up there! :)

Teri said...

I have violets in my yard too. Maybe spring is here