Several weeks ago, Hazel figured out how to turn the handle on her Jack-in-the-box. She's frequently still frustrated, though, at her inablity to make Jack pop up, because she doesn't know she's holding the lid shut with her other hand. I've tried to explain this, but logic doesn't go over so well yet.
That little brain works in amazing ways. Rather than continue being frustrated, she made her own Jack-in-the-box. She has a little blue plastic boy whom we call Jack, so that we can sing "Two little babies on the windowsill. One named Jack and the other named Jill (red with a painted-on bow in her hair). Run away Jack. Run away Jill. Come back Jack. Come back Jill." It was much easier to change the song than to find two blackbird finger puppets like the librarian has. Anyhoo... she now puts "Jack" in a little box and makes him pop out when we get to that part of the song. This is the kind of thing I want to write down and remember.
I really wish I knew what went on in that little head of hers. I'm sure I see only a glimpse of the inner workings as she figures out life around her.
That little brain works in amazing ways. Rather than continue being frustrated, she made her own Jack-in-the-box. She has a little blue plastic boy whom we call Jack, so that we can sing "Two little babies on the windowsill. One named Jack and the other named Jill (red with a painted-on bow in her hair). Run away Jack. Run away Jill. Come back Jack. Come back Jill." It was much easier to change the song than to find two blackbird finger puppets like the librarian has. Anyhoo... she now puts "Jack" in a little box and makes him pop out when we get to that part of the song. This is the kind of thing I want to write down and remember.
I really wish I knew what went on in that little head of hers. I'm sure I see only a glimpse of the inner workings as she figures out life around her.
1 comment:
The boys and I loved her idea of the Jack in the Box with her little blue man! Absolutely darling. Thanks for sending!
Love,
Caroline and boys
Post a Comment