Sunday, January 25, 2009

Closing in on two

Hazel reached 23 months on Friday. I can't believe she'll be two next month. Where did my little baby go...
She's trying to put socks, pants and shoes on by herself (unsuccessfully) and thinks she's brushing her teeth when she sucks the water off the toothbrush and asks for more water. I hear a lot of Hazel do it. Hazel have it. Hazel eat it. Hazel wants it. Hazel likes that.
I read somewhere that between 2-3, I should expect to hear short sentences. I expect way more than that. She already says some fairly descriptive sentences with lots of prepositions, and seems to know how to use words like somebody, sometimes and maybe. She'll see a car in a parking lot and say it's somebody's car maybe. And when folding clothes, she'll pick up a shirt and say she wears it sometimes.
And in the lot to learn category: Saying It's morning, when she wants to get up from a nap. And then I try again to explain morning, afternoon, evening and nighttime. She brushes crumbs onto the floor after eating, because she sees me brush them into my hand. She throws things when she gets frustrated - forks, blocks, toys and even the beloved binky. I try not to say NO too often, but it's tough. She can drink from a cup, but can't put it down without spilling. Absolutely no interest in potty training yet. Still needs to hang on when climbing stairs. No airtime when jumping. Fairly dependent on the binky.
She still loves books, and can describe outloud what's going on when she reads them to herself. She loves puzzles (24 piece ones now), and usually stays focused enough to finish them. She certainly has her days when she flits from toy to toy though. She loves to listen to her CDs and sing along. She asks to stay in the car and listen to her music when I park the car at a store - sorry, no can do.
Thanks for reading - I just wanted to summarize a little bit of what's going on right now. And right now she's in her crib saying It's morning, so back to Hazel's world I go.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Oh, Caleb was so like that, with the third person thing! I remember especially his cumbersome, "Caleb wants Caleb's cup." So funny and cute. :-) Thanks for the recap. I would love to meet your girl!

Blythe said...

That's the mantra around here too - Theo do it! Theo toothbrush! Theo wash hands! Theo eat it!

(And I just read about the existence of Elmo crackers in one of your other entries. That may be on the list of potty training bribes if we can ever get him to acknowledge the existence of the potty chair.)