Friday, August 26, 2011

Alaska State Fair

I'm actually posting something in real time, as we just went to the Alaska State Fair today! It's their 75th anniversary, although it must have started with a different name, as AK hasn't been a state quite that long. Furs staged to stand behind so Hazel can pretend to be a real native Alaskan (her words).


Hazel was thrilled to see this dinosaur, as she's a new fan of the PBS show DinoTrain and repeatedly tells me to call her Tiny the Teranadon (sp?). Side note: there sure are many more dinosaurs than when I was a kid and it was pretty much just the T-Rex, Stegosaurus, Brontosaurus and Triceratops. Or maybe I just didn't find them that interesting.


And, of course, Hazel's really only here for the rides.


She impressed me with her bravery when she walked through this obstacle course on her own, including a long, tall slide down from the top. I'm sure glad I didn't have to crawl up after her, as one grandmother had to do.


She was sure this was a truck from Ice Road Truckers.


While laughing out loud during these kiddie rides, she afterwards declared them boring. She was disappointed that this fair requires riders to be 48" tall for the Tilt-a-whirl; I was not disappointed. The only ride I had to join her on was the dragon boat swing, of which there are no photos as I was too busy trying not to fall out to hang on to a camera. That one, which pulled us both out of our seats, did pass muster with her. Oh, and we took a very long ride on a ferris wheel which we both enjoyed. I'd have to say that all the rides were very generous in length.


This was a first - a rocking horse on a carousel.


This has got to be the funniest stand-behind I've ever seen.


Perhaps a silly first - eating a hot dog in a bun - but this kid fights me tooth and nail to eat anything in combination with anything else. Hmm... sounds a bit like me.


We had earlier inhaled a bag of cotton candy, but this shaved ice is Hazel's favorite fair treat.


Here's the freebie summary of the fair!


Furry reward for catching two plastic fish. There'a a long striped tail hiding somewhere. Is it a chinchilla? I have no idea.Prize for catching two rubber duckies, already sentenced to life on the closet shelf until we're out of this apartment as it's just too bouncy... I forgot to add that Hazel also had a great time in the animal barn. I was too busy reaching for hand sanitizer every two minutes to document the petting of piglets, calves, sheep, goats, chickens, bunnies and a llama. :)

2 comments:

Kristen said...

such FUN! and good decision on the bouncy ball. HENRY BROKE MY GLASS HURRICANE WITH HIS HIPPITY HOP THIS WEEK! The Glassy Baby survived, however. TG.

Anonymous said...

It all looks like crazy fun that I always enjoyed when I took you to the fair! ~mom.