Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Living on Hazel Street

This post is only slightly about Hazel, but I'd like to tell my tale. Three years ago, the city of Seattle started a decade-long project to replace all its street signs. The old ones are available for sale at the city surplus shop, and a current list of available signs is updated online every other month or so. After the first year of watching the list for the street I grew up on, I finally pulled out a city map and read through all the street names. Amazingly, there is a Hazel street! I hoped I hadn't missed it, but the signs are replaced in random order, and the city doesn't keep track of which ones have already been replaced (I'm sure they do, but the info isn't readily available to the public).
So, after watching the evolving list for two years, Hazel Street popped up on the list on Monday! I didn't see it until Tuesday night, and by the time Hazel and I got up to Seattle today, there were two (out of four) left, and they weren't in very good shape. I was a bit disappointed, but bought one anyway, because I think they're spiffy keen and wanted one. And when they're "below average" quality, they're only $5! Then off we went to the Seattle Aquarium, where Hazel had a thoroughly enjoyable visit.
On the way back to the car, I decided to duck into the antique shop behind the parking strip. Outside on their porch was a Hazel street sign in excellent shape! And the owner was only asking $35! He said he watches the list too and hurries over to grab all the good signs - greedy man. Anyhoo, after hearing my tale, he sold it to me for $15, only $5 more than cost. So he's a nice, greedy man. Now Hazel doesn't have to steal a street sign with her name on it, in the middle of the night when she's a teenager.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good mom is always thinking ahead.. Lol Cher

Kristen said...

Awesome! What a great story!

Lynne said...

How fun! I wonder if street signs with my kids' names on them exist... I've never considered the possibility before! Now I'll be looking. :-)