Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day trip to Seward

Sometimes I feel this blog is turning into a travel guide...  Here we are last Saturday on a day trip to Seward, a long two hours from home. There were lots of trailheads along the way, so we have plenty of return trips in our future I think. Hazel is, in fact, distantly related to William H. Seward who engineered the purchase of Alaska from Russia.

Our first stop was the Alaska SeaLife Center. Hazel was up for touching everything except the hermit crabs, which I'm not sure we're supposed to bother anyhow.

We stayed in the seabird habitat for a long time, as the birds were so close and very pretty.




Blurry picture, I know, but I always love these jelly fish tanks with a current, to keep them swirling around gently. They're so beautiful.

Next stop was a walk on the beach. A rocky beach was a treat, as we've mostly got mud flats at home. The rocks on this part of the beach were all small, flat and smooth.

Around the corner were tidal pools. The hunt was on for shells and itty bitty signs of life.

What did we find?

Very cool sea stars attached to this rock. We hoped they were still alive and put them back in the water.

Here's what we brought home. I was most fond of the limpets - lots and lots of limpets. I could've brought home twenty more. Hazel likes her mussel shells, the barnacle and the teeny tiny pink clam shell.


Not the best photo, but we made a quick stop on the side of the road to watch seven seals go swimming by.

They had a great park there as well!



No comments: