Wednesday, May 30, 2012

North to Fairbanks

Daddy had a meeting in Fairbanks last week, so Hazel and I joined him for a road trip. We left late Saturday afternoon - had to make sure we experienced our first giant neighborhood yard sale before we left. We turned east at Palmer and were so glad we did, as it was a beautiful drive. Our first stop was the Matanuska glacier. It was grey out but still lovely. Hazel currently enjoys perching on rocks.

I don't know, Hazel, where can we find a glacier?

I think she's spotted one. I like her tiptoe pose.

Yes, by golly, there it is.


We stayed at the Caribou Lodge in Glennallen, where they oddly had a painted moose out front instead of a caribou. 

'Twas a beautiful sunny day the second day. We stopped to see spawning salmon at this rest stop, but decided to skip lunch at the picnic table. See it?

Instead of a bear-proof garbage bin, there was an almost human-proof fence around the dumpster. Seemed a bit funny.

I don't think she was plugging her ears because she could hear the oil rushing through the pipeline, but then again, she does have better hearing than I. The sign says not to climb on the pipe.


Look who we found at the local burger joint in Delta Junction. He was far from home. The next McD's was 95 miles to the north.

For those who doubt the mosquitos are bigger in Alaska...

So we've now driven the last 100 yards of the Alcan Highway - just 1422 more miles to the south and we can cross that off our to-do list. By the way, in case you didn't know (like me), the Alcan Highway ends in Dawson City, BC. I just figured it went all the way south to the border.

Playing with Wikki Stix on the floor at our friends' house. I'm not sure what the orange spot in the middle is supposed to be.


It's quite a bit colder in Fairbanks in the winter. I know it blends in with the campers in the back, but this is a four-plug-in post. I haven't seen those down south.

The Museum of the North on campus at UAF was very interesting. This is the only bear I want to be this close to.

We visited with friends who had a tortoise, lizard, stick insects and Clementine the bunny. Clementine was the softest to pet.

We made sure to visit all the important tourist spots.

Hazel just randomly wanted her picture taken here. This is one of my favorite shirts of hers... and yes, if I haven't mentioned it before, Hazel likes to wear mismatched shoes. They're the same other than the color, so why not?

Hanging out at the motel.



Photo by Hazel.

Playing games on Daddy's phone. I don't think he was napping, but Hazel wouldn't have cared. She's very focused.

Required visit to North Pole, and we bought a new little reindeer friend as pictured.

No, not the big one... the little one.

We enjoyed a walk in Creamer's Field and surrounding woods for some bird watching.



It's not quite shorts weather at home yet, but it was nice and warm in Fairbanks.

I hope that's not part of the electrical system for the barn...

I don't know what these were, but this little one was giving me that infamous mad Robin glare.

Our trip home took us by Denali Park. Hazel got her wiggles out at a view stop.

Can you see Mt Denali (McKinley) in the background?

If not, here's a shot without Hazel. We didn't look through the telescope, but I'm not sure it would have helped us see the 300 plus climbers on the mountain right now.

More majesty to the south... again, a beautiful drive. I can't wait to do it again during fall colors...

2 comments:

Kristen said...

it's beautiful! thanks for another glimpse into gorgeous alaska!

Danika and Ben said...

I LOVE her mis-matched shoes!! She's getting so big and her creative mind impresses me so much!