Saturday, October 29, 2011

Home sweet home

Yes, we're still here and online - we've just been busy since moving into our new house five weeks ago. Before we moved in, Hazel helped us turn her blue and dark purple teenager's room into a lovely, pink, princess abode. This was after we managed to talk her out of painting it Lightning McQueen red. She was sure we could just pull out the carpet and paint the floor underneath black with yellow road striping. I don't think so.... We still have more decor to hang up, but here's most of the end result. I don't know why the pictures taken with my phone show up smaller, as they're actually much larger in size, but I guess that's just the way it is.
She painted several pictures on the wall before we blended them all in.



The door to her room, of course. She surprised me one day by adding a pink feather boa and ribbon to the door, attaching them with blue masking tape herself.

We tipped over her shelving unit, to create storage cubbies, so we now need to put a few shelves on the wall to display her breakables. Still, I think this worked out well. Her room holds lots of toys, so there are a nice manageable number downstairs.

Just a few of the details close up.

Jewels around the edge and "flutter, fly, wish" over her pillow.

Cute mirrored stick-ons and a self-portrait sent by her good friend Amy, whom we miss dearly.



Room enough to share the space with Princess Strawberry.




New, cheery shower curtain in Hazel's bathroom.




And then downstairs, there's a decent sized corner in the family room for a few more of Hazel's items.




We had a bit of an erratic summer in the apartment, but Hazel's finally sleeping, eating and behaving more normally now. I think she's pretty happy here, and so are we.




And a great big thank you to my folks who came for five days and camped out with us when we moved in! I can't imagine how it would have gone if you hadn't been here!


No comments: