Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Never one to miss a holiday, Hazel started crossing off the days to St. Patrick's Day the day after her birthday. (Did you know her whole calendar is an advent calendar? She's crossing off all the days to each holiday, but mostly she's crossing them off every day in anticipation of Christmas. Yes, she's talking about Christmas already.) Here's a sticker collage she made to get herself in the mood.
We all started the day with a big bowl of Lucky Charms. At least it will go quickly if we all eat it. She had to be blackmailed into eating the non-marshmallow cereal of course.Somewhere along the way she decided that these cross magnets she decorated yesterday were part of today's celebration. She made sure she, Daddy and I all had one, and then we counted to three and yelled, "Happy St. Patrick's Day!" Okay...
Green shirt and two green shamrock hand stamps from gym time at the Y. Hazel was so excited every time she saw anyone wearing green today. Hmm... that reminds me... I forgot to see if Daddy is wearing green today. I'll have to check that when I'm done here, as we talked about pinching but haven't had the chance to do it yet.
And what's St. Patrick's Day at our house without gingerbread shamrock cookies. My decorating skills failed me this time, but they still taste yummy.
Hazel and I had brainstormed about what green items we could have for dinner. Here's what we came up with - soy beans, peas and corn (yellow's allowed), green mashed potatoes and sliced bananas with sprinkles. (It's heavy on the sprinkles, but the first ones didn't have any taste - weird.) I don't remember food coloring having a taste, but there was something off about the mashed potatoes besides the color. After taking the photo, we substituted toast and bread sticks. The protein is missing from this picture - I told her we couldn't dye the chicken green.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daddy didn't wear just any green today - John Deere green.

Kristen said...

ha! so fun!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your spirit celebrating! ~mom.